After meeting with Jerry at Va Bee Supply I got home and got the goods unloaded.
I’ll admit I was like a kid in a candy store putting this stuff together. I’ve always liked working with wood and wood crafting and getting these hives ready for the bees has been great fun.
2 bodies and 20 frames down, 2 bodies and 20 frames to go.
After getting the hive together I decided I’d like to stain it instead of painting. I didn’t take anymore photos of the rest of the assembly but here’s the finished product.
I learned something about this hobby and I haven’t even gotten bees yet. It might be a bit addictive. After assembling and staining the first hive I was able to fight the anticipation for about a week. It was too strong however and I was back to Va Bee Supply for another hive kit. Through reading and talking with beekeepers I heard many times the best way to start the hobby is with two hives. The reason being you’ll be able to compare the 2 if one is having problems.
So another kit, more assembly and another hive. I’ve applied 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of latex. Tomorrow I will finish up the last 2 coats of latex on the underside. I think I like the stain look better, but the paint sure does go on lots faster!