Thursday, May 5, 2011

10 frame to 9 frame and fencing out the emu's.

After reading a bit about keeping 9 frames in a 10 frame hive I decided to give it a try. The thing I liked the most about it was it makes the bees easier to work when everything isn't so jam packed in. I got my 2 plastic spacers from Brushy Mountain today and this evening I removed a frame from each hive. I also took a quick look to see how they were doing without removing the built up frames. The 3 frames in the center of the box were nice and filled with comb from what I could see. Not sure how far it went down but from the top it looked to go all the way to the bottom of the frame. I'm going to leave them alone for the next couple of weeks and let them work without disturbance. Then I'll check to see their progress and decide if they are ready for another super.

I also tilled the ground where I plan to plant the borage, lavender, and wildflowers. It was way too wet to do anything with though in regards to planting. I plan to plant the borage and lavender in the greenhouse tomorrow after work and keep it there until it's ready to move to the bee patch. I also fenced out the emu's. I noticed they were hard after the new clover coming up there and just couldn't have them stealing future bee food. So I set up a fence around it using electric fence posts and fence tape. They aren't the brightest animals so I'm hoping it keeps them out. If not, we have a battery operated fence charger at the farm I'll bring over and that should fix'em. I'll put up some pics of everything when the borage and lavender has come up and everything is planted in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment