Monday, April 21, 2014
I checked everything today and pulled a box of honey off the stained hive. The little Orange Nuc has a queen already but she doesn't seems to be laying. I pulled a split out of the stained hive and placed it in the blue nuc. I'll give them a frame of brood this weekend to keep numbers up. Maybe a shake of bees also. All the hives look good. Added extra boxes where needed.
Sunday, April 6, 2014
Checked everything real quick today and bumped numbers on the hives that were weakest. Everyone has a queen and the purple and stained hive are booming. Pulled a real good split out of the purple hive and put it in the Orange nuc. I was seeing drones so figured I'd chance it. I also pulled the honey that was left in medium. I have about 60 pounds to get extracted and there's still a good amount in some of the deep frames. I'll get in there this week and get the last medium box of honey off the stained hive when it's warmer and split, split, and split some more. I noticed cups in the hives but didn't see any cell so I don't think they are ready for swarming yet. I hope to cut them down enough to prevent it actually with splits. These bees did really well over the winter and there' still lots of honey to get them going left. I learned a big lesson on moisture this winter that I won't repeat but more on that later.
Saturday, April 5, 2014
Hopefully after a little cool weather tonight spring is here to stay. Bees are active and I've been feeding for the last couple weeks just to get them going. Today I put out a couple swarm traps and plan to make a couple up this coming week out of a few cedar boards I have to place over at the farm. Planning to reverse boxes and inspect hive thoroughly this coming week also so I'll more than likely have a video or 2 to put up. Plan on going high gear this year with them. Hopefully that includes lots of expansion.